Frequently Asked Questions


We get many recurring questions on Farming Mum’s which is understandable. Here we have collated answers and helpful questions for your first port of call.

Have Other Questions? Contact Us »

Mental Health Help

Help! My kid has nits

Where can I go for contract and employment advice?

How do I find an Au Pair?

Recommended accounting Software?

Contract + Sharemilking Advice

What payroll programme do people use?

Best rural broadband?

Everything Calving


Mental Health Help

Is it an emergency?  If you feel you or someone else is at immediate risk or harm, call 111 or go to your nearest hospital Emergency Department.

Rural Support Trust - 0800 787 254 - 0800 111 757

Healthline - 0800 611 116

Lifeline - 0800 543 354 or (09) 522 2999 | free text 4357 (HELP)

Youthline - Free call 0800 376 633 | Free text 234

Samaritans - 0800 726 666

Womans Refuge - 0800 733 843

Help! My kid has nits

  • Tea Tree Oil Shampoo and Conditioner

  • Tea Tree Oil mixed with conditioner and put on as a mask for an hour

  • Conditioner or olive oil/coconut oil etc smothered over the head and glad wrapped for an hour

  • Douse the hair in vinegar and leave on, wrapped in a towel over night

  • Citronella from the chemist in a spray bottle

  • Pinetarsol and water in a spray bottle

  • Neem Soap or Neem Oil

  • Lavender oil in spray bottle

  • Listerine

  • Robi Comb

  • Nit-Enz

Where can I go for contract and employment advice?

Employment NZ

Federated Farmers Employment

DairyNZ Contracts and Entitlements

Beef and Lamb Employment Agreement

Farm Salaries Guide 2018

Citizens Advice Bureau - Disputes

DairyNZ Ending Employment

DairyNZ - Accommodation

Farm Accommodation Example

Worksafe - Worker Accommodation

How do I find an Au Pair?

Au Pair Link

Dream Au Pair

Au Pair New Zealand

Backpacker Board

Au Pair World

Recommended accounting Software


Cash Manager


Wave Accounting

Cashbook Complete

Contract + Sharemilking Advice

DairyNZ - Contract Milkers

Contract Milking Agreement Tips

Contract or Sharemilking Self Employment - Jacqui Porter

What payroll programme do people use?

PaySauce - Payroll Software

Ace Payroll


Xero Payroll

Smart Payroll

Smooth Pay

IMS Payroll


Best rural broadband?

Noting availability and type will be location dependent

Farmside Rural Broadband

Vodafone Rural Broadband

Wireless Nation


Primo Wireless - Taranaki

EzyKonect - South Canterbury + North Otago

Everything Calving

Farm Source - Calving

Caring for calving cows - DairyNZ

Setting up for calving - DairyNZ

Calving tips - Totally Vets

Tips for successful calving - Rural News Group

Calf Rearing Guide - Farmlands

Lifestyle Block Calf Rearing Advice - This NZ Life